Sunday, August 23, 2015

Divergent.

The Divergent Series; Allegiant.

~Written by Roth, Veronica

SPOILERS AHEAD!

Arguably, it is the best book I read after, of course Pride and Prejudice. It kind of motivated me to be someone I wanted to be, and someone I wish I was. 

"I suppose a fire that burns that bright is not meant to last"


There are a few things that are synonymous but are not. One of them being your identity. There are, as I feel, three things-
1. The person people see you and judge you as;
2. The person who you wish to be and think you are;
3. The person who you actually are. 

I have been brought up to believe that it is only the third thing that matters. But if we go deeper, we realise that what people think of us or what we think we are, is not any less important.

I believe what my sir teaches me, not blindly, but I do consider everything he says. Similarly, if my friends or peers or parents or siblings call me something, I will definitely put a thought to it and believe it to some extent. Why wouldn't I? They have been living with me and are quite familiar with the type of the lifestyle that I have. I don't mean to say that all the stuff they say is right, or wrong for that matter, but it should at least be considered. You might not like it, or you might but at least give their words a thought. Chances are there that we might actually find it useful and improve to some extent. Or maybe they are just praising you and it will brighten your day up.

I also know that the person I think I am and I wish to be is really important too, because it actually provides a scope for personal development. I want to be the most successful person the world will see and I think for that I need to figure out certain things and work to achieve what I wish I can.
Similarly, what I think of myself is a boost to my own self. I am so full of energy and confidence, but hey, that's what I think I am, so does it make it any less important? NO! It builds self confidence in me and is really good for my esteem. 
And I don't, don't, don't mean to say that you take yourself down the road of guilt because you think that you are the worst creature in the world, because you're not. Not until you're Osama Bin Laden. But then, maybe it was all about circumstances with him, maybe not. I just don't know. 

That's where the 'who you actually are' part kicks in. And I believe nobody is wrong. Did you just do all that crappy thing to your classmate because you're sadistic and wanted to hurt her/him? Or did you just shout at your parents for no reason? Or you kicked a dog because you know, he was a little piece of shit. No. Nobody is a terrible person. Don't believe me blindly, apply your intelligence. That's what the brain is there for in the first place. 

Everyone has reasons and ways of doing things. People sometimes tell us that we need to improve upon this and that and some suggestions are really useful. Then you think that you can actually improve. And you actually make an effort to. And only then your true self changes for the better things in the world. Of course it is the last part that weighs the most, but the other two aren't negligible. They do matter too. 

Get me?

Here's to the book who made me come out of my identity crises just a year back and to the choices I made.
"
One choice can transform you.
One choice can destroy you.
One choice will define you.

"

No comments:

Post a Comment